Answered By: Contact Center Last Updated: Jan 30, 2017 Views: 128
Below are the steps you will follow to successfully checkout, download, and transfer an eBook from GCPL's OverDrive collection. You will also find a step-by-step instructional video for downloading and transferring eBooks at the end of this answer.
- Download and install Adobe Digital Editions, this free software allows you to read our eBooks on your computer as well as transfer them to your Sony Reader. The software is available as a free download from GCPL's OverDrive site. Be sure you also have the Sony Reader Library software installed on your computer.
- After Adobe Digital Editions is installed, open the program. When prompted, create an Adobe ID to activate your computer to download eBooks from GCPL's OverDrive collection.
- Go to digitalbooks.gwinnettpl.org. After you’ve selected an eBook (EPUB or PDF format) title and have added it to your download basket, click “Proceed to Checkout” . You will then be prompted to login with your library card number and PIN.
- After logging in, you will be given the option to select a loan period for your eBook. You can choose 7 days, 14 days, or 21 days depending on how long you think you would like to keep the eBook checked out.
- After selecting a loan period, click the “confirm checkout” button.
- You will then be taken to your download items list and should see the title you selected with a “Download” button below it.
- Click on the “Download” button to download the eBook to your computer. When prompted, select “Open” from the File Download window. This will prompt Adobe Digital Editions to start and open your eBook in "Book View". Switch to "Library View" by clicking on the stack of books button in the top left corner of Adobe Digital Editions.
- With Adobe Digital Editions open, plug in your Sony Reader. Adobe Digital Editions will recognize your device and ask if you would like to authorize it. Select "Authorize Device". Your device will then show up under the “Bookshelves” menu on the left. To transfer the eBook to your Sony Reader, simply click on the title and drag it over to your Reader.
The below video outlines these steps using a Barnes & Noble Nook; however, the same steps apply to all eReaders compatible with our OverDrive collection. Once again, to transfer to a Sony Reader you must have the Sony Reader Library software installed on your computer in addition to Adobe Digital Editions.